Enterprise Data Catalog: Data Discovery and Lineage Analysis
This course is applicable for software version 10.2.1. Gain the skills necessary to use Enterprise Data Catalog (EDC) to discover and explore datasets. Using EDC, learn to perform semantic search, customize searches, analyze data lineage and impact, associate assets with existing business terms from the Business Glossary, and add custom attributes to assets.
After successfully completing this course, students should be able to:
Perform semantic search
Configure search filters
View asset details
View profiling statistics
Perform quick edit of asset properties
View data lineage and impact details
View transformation logic for an asset
View transformation logic from BDM mappings
View relationship between assets
Associate business terms with assets
Associate custom attributes with assets
Module 1: Overview of Enterprise Data Catalog
· Major Business Challenges
· Scale of Challenges
· EDC as a Solution
· What is Enterprise Data Catalog?
· EDC Metadata Lifecycle
· EDC Architecture
· EDC Key Features
Module 2: Exploring the Enterprise Data Catalog User Interface
· EDC User Interface
· Conventional Search vs. Semantic Search
· Why do we need Semantic Search?
· What is Semantic Search in EDC?
· Searching in EDC
· Additional Search Options in EDC
· Explore Search Results
· Search Filters
· Sort Search Results
· Edit Properties of Assets
· View Asset Details
· View Data Lineage
· View Relationships
· Why do we Need Profiling?
· What is Data Profiling in EDC?
· Data Similarity
· Data Similarity – Advantages
· Column Data Similarity
· Value Frequency
· Similar Columns
· Patterns and Inferred Data Types
Module 3: Customizing Search and Views
· Why do you Need to Configure Search Filters?
· Application Configuration
· Types of Assets
· Custom Attributes
· Custom Attributes Help in Data Classification
· Configuring Custom Attributes
· System Attributes
· Configuring System Attributes
· Configuring Asset types
· Configuring Filter Panel
Module 4: Data Domains and Curation
· What is a Data Domain?
· Why do we Need Data Domains?
· Data Domain Discovery – Customer Story
· Where can you Find Data Domains?
· What can you do with Data Domains?
· View Data Domains Associated with Asset
· Search for Assets Through Data Domains
· View Data Domain Details
· Associate Data Domains to Assets
· How do you Associate a Data Domain?
· Creating a Data Domain
· How do you create a Data Domain?
· What is Curation?
· Curating Data Domains
· Accepting or Rejecting Inferred Data Domains
· Methods to Curate Data Domains
· Curating Data Domains for Assets
· Bulk Curation for Data Domains
· How are Data Domains Inferred?
· Propagating Curated Data Domains
· Data Domain Groups
· Composite Data Domains
Module 5: Annotating Data Assets
· Enhancing meaning of assets
· Add description to assets
· What are Business Terms?
· What can you Associate Business Terms With?
· How do you Associate a Business Term?
· Viewing the Associated Business Term
· View Business Term Details
· View Business Term Details in Informatica Analyst
· Provide business title
· What is a Custom Attribute?
· Why do you Need Custom Attributes?
· Types of Custom Attributes
· Extended Custom Attributes
· Assigning multiple business terms through custom attributes
· How do you Assign a Custom Attribute?
· Assign People to Assets
· Exporting and Importing Custom Attributes
Module 6: Data Lineage and Impact
· What Questions does it Answer?
· Why do we Need it?
· What is Data Lineage and Impact?
· Lineage and Impact
· Impact Analysis
· Lineage and Impact View
· Controls to Customize the Diagram View
· View Child Assets
· View Intermediate Assets
· Exporting Lineage and Impact
· View Connected Business Terms
· Transformation Logic for Assets
· Transformation Logic View Tasks
· Viewing transformation details
· Transformation Logic details from BDM
· Asset Lineage and Impact Summary View
· Exporting Lineage and Impact Summary
Module 7: Relationship Discovery
· What Questions does it Answer?
· Asset Relationship Overview
· Relationship View
· Expanding the Relationship View
· Relationship Diagram of Related Assets
· Customizing the View
· Type of Relationships
· Difference Between Lineage and Impact View, and Relationship View